Friday, August 31, 2007

Artist Lara Berch - Learn to DIY online

I received an email from Lara Berch this morning, an artist who has just started an online tutorial website for art and painting techniques. I was intrigued, so I went to check it out. Lara is like many of us who thought it would be "the right thing to do" to get a degree in something "practical", like accounting or finance, only to discover that it made us a little bit suicidal. (Me....I got a business admin. degree..sheesh! Although I must admit it has come in very handy since becoming a designer.) The switch to the creative fields was a welcome relief. Lara resides in NYC and is living her dream of creativity and helping to save the environment, both pursuits that I am 100% behind.

Here are a couple of Lara's creations:

AND I think it would be so fun to try out her techniques! Perhaps you have had that chair in the attic that you just needed to do a little something with before putting it in the living room. Or you just needed that last art piece for the powder room to make it complete. Lara's tutorials are just a click away:

I am impressed with her site...AND she also has a BLOG! So check that out too! OH! Did I mention the tutorials are FREE?! Well they are!

OH and BTW, Lara has another site all about the environment called Down with Basics. Check it out too! It will get you thinking.

15 comments:

Mélanie said...

Thank you for sharing this site with us. She's a talented artisan and artist

mrsplainjane said...

Ooh fun! I need to link her blog. I'm sort of craft challenged...certain things I have a lot of fun and they come out great, others I think I don't have patience for. I'd love to do some of her painting tutorials! I was inspired by a friend the other night who has a bunch of thrift store/old cast off pieces she painted and it has totally transformed her house. :)

katiedid said...

Hi Melanie! Thanks for visiting! I think and DIY info I can get is useful.:)

katiedid said...

Hello ms. jane!
I am thinking I may be able to use the painting techniques for some flea market finds myself, once my remodel is done. Hope you have fun!:)

girl meets glamour said...

Wow, what a great idea...thanks for sharing. Have a great holiday weekend Katie!

~Kate

Lara Berch Tutorials said...

Wow, Thank you so much for such a wonderfull review :-) I really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
P.S. I will add you to my blogroll.

Jen / domestika said...

Ooh, loads of inspiring reading here for a long weekend! I look forward to spending time on both of Lara's blogs -- thanks for the links, katie!

ALL THE BEST said...

This is great! Thanks Katie!

Bhavna said...

I agree Katie,..I looked through Lara's amazing handiwork a couple of days back and was totally impressed!

P.S: How's the reno coming along?

robyn said...

Cool post and info Katie, thanks. :)

katiedid said...

Hey Kate-
Hope your weekend is great! Have fun.:)

katiedid said...

Hi Lara!
You're are most welcome! I wish you all the best with your work And thanks for the link!

katiedid said...

Hi Ronda, Bhavna and Robyn-
Thanks for visiting!

And Bhavna, things are coming along. The counters go in Tuesday. I am crossing my fingers it all goes well. :)

Frida said...

Oh no. Now I feel bad. I assumed she was a spam machine rather than a real person since she left comments on every blog I ever visit - none of which had anything to do with the blogs themselves and all of which just referred to another site. I ignored the comments and even asked on a friend's blog "who is this Lara Birch and why is she spamming all my favorite blogs". I learned my lesson. Next time I'll follow the link first. I am far too cynical...

I love your site and it certainly did brighten up my day. And you taught me a lesson at the same time. Can't ask for more than that...

katiedid said...

Hi Frida!
Thanks for stopping by! I know I am careful about things like this too. I have had a few that I have not responded to, and sites that were a litle too spam-y. But I thought Lara was worth a plug.