Thursday, August 23, 2007

California Vernacular

Greene and Greene, Julia Morgan..these are names that conjure images of old California architecture: California Bungalows, Spanish Colonial, Monterey style. Architect Donald Goldstein and designer Jarrett Hedborg bring these aesthetic qualities to life in their renovation of this Spanish Colonial Revival home in Los Angeles California.

Growing up in Pasadena, I became very familiar with Greene and Greene architecture. We were in and about their homes almost daily. I would pass by the Gamble House every day on my way to school, and had a friend who lived in another Greene and Greene home. My Aunts and Uncles lived in Spanish Colonials, and we had a Prairie Style house. So when I saw this old style California interior, it conjured up very vivid and fond memories. In the image above you see a Roseville Pottery vase to the left and a Daum Crystal vase to the right, both circa early 20th century. Painting in rear by Alfredo Ramos Martinez, front by Jessie Arms Botke.

Another example of vintage Roseville Pottery on the K'ang-hsi coffee table from Rose Tarlow-Melrose House. I love the beautiful collection of art and antiques brought together in this living room in a very fresh way.



The pottery in the Dining Room is early 19th century Weller. The Plein Air painting of pack horses is by Herman Struck This, mixed with the Chinese console, iron gate, the pewter tea paper covered ceiling create a successfully unique combination. I also envy the Fortuny covered Chippendale dining chairs from Rose Tarlow!

This bathroom, with it's beautiful Ann Sacks tile work, is what initially caught my attention in this article. I was working on a Prairie Style home and wanted to show my clients a bathroom with Craftsman tile that would work for them. This certainly works for me!

House and Garden July 2005, Photos by John Coolidge

19 comments:

purple cucumbers folk art said...

hi darling,just passing threw on a visit,come sit a spell on my front porch.xxoo

Bhavna said...

Hello Katie!
Welcome back :-)..hope you have been able to make good progres with the reno!

Love the wrought iron gate!

The Peak of Chic said...

Katie- These are such beautiful images. I've never been to Pasadena, but I've always heard it is a truly beautiful place :)

-Suzie- said...

Hi Katie,
this was a short time out! Welcome back. Hope things work out fine.

I owe you the meme answers. You can find them here:
http://palazzopizzo.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-was-tagged.html

Annica Lindeberg said...

Your blog is very inspiring! I have just entered the blogging world, so feel free to visit me when you have some spare time.
Take care,
Annica

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

Hope it has been a fruitful intermezzo.
I love Julia Morgan - there were a couple of her houses near my high school in SF, and loads of examples in Berkley that I really liked. How I miss seeing those houses.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

katiedid said...

Purple Cucumber, thanks for the visit! I wil travel on over to your blog to see what's up.:)

katiedid said...

Hello Bhavna, Jennifer and Suzie! Thanks for the visit! Things are starting to get back on track with the remodel. I will post the "before" and "after" when the "after" is done: 1st week in September. Stay tuned!

Jennifer: yes, Pasadena was a wonderful place to grow up. A bit over the top preppy, but in that comforting kind of way. Also alot of very beautiful architecture and history which is certainly lacking in many a new California suburb. There was/is a very sophisticated art world there as well. I was very lucky.:)

katiedid said...

Hello Annica!
Thank you for visiting! I will look forward to visiting your blog as well.:)

katiedid said...

Hello HOBAC! So you went to High School in SF? Fun to learn little tidbits here and there! You are originally from England though? How long in the states?
I love Julia Morgan too! I got to do a showhouse room in the library of one of her houses here in Sacramento once upon a time. I will post that photo someday maybe.;)

dianamuse said...

Beautifully composed, serene spaces. So soothing on this Sunday afternoon. (You must have enjoyed putting this together - a nice diversion from your reno stresses.) Loved reading about your memories and personal connection to the varied facets of CA style.

robyn said...

I love Julia Morgan, and California Architecture, thanks for all of the lovely images and information!

Sarah Jennings said...

The bathroom is exquisite. I would take a bath everyday if I had a bath like that...I love Ann Sacks tile.

ALL THE BEST said...

Great to read your post Katie! Stunning photos!!

Mélanie said...

I love all these pictures . Fortuny's fabric in one of my favorite . I've been to their site . It is wonderful

franki durbin said...

I'm a sucker for wrought iron scroll work. Between this and the glorious tiled bath I'm packing my bags and headed West. ;)

Brilliant Asylum said...

Welcome back. What a beautiful gate leading to the dining room.

katiedid said...

Hello all! Thanks for visiting and I'm so glad you enjoyed the post!:)

frances said...

my college boyfriend lived in a julia morgan building in berkeley after he graduated and moved west. i loved visiting california and staying there, it was one of my first projects!