Thursday, December 27, 2007

Merry Christmas To All, and To All a Good Night!

I thought I would share a few pictures of our house at Christmas. I am sorry not to have had time before, but we were installing doors and moving furniture up until the last minute before our annual Christmas Eve party! Here are a few pictures of how I did the house:

Our Fireplace Mantel in the Living Room. I like to use citrus and the kids love to make pomanders (oranges with cloves stuck in to create a pattern). They make the house smell wonderful!

Our Christmas Tree with many years of collected ornaments, many of them very old from my Mother's family.

Christmas morning: the tree next to the craftsman stairway of our 1911 house.



We are still working on the house, and until we repair the fireplace, candles it is! It is a tradition to use the stockings knitted by my Mother-in-Law. They do hold alot of goodies from Santa!



This Lotte Sievers-Hahn creche has been with me since I was a little girl. My mother collected the pieces over the years, carved by a single family in Germany. They are still available through the German Christmas Gifts website.

The Dining Room Citrus Pyramid centerpiece.

My Family Room coffee table with my new Jonathan Adler tray!

And the citrus cloche idea, I borrowed from Halcyon of Decor Journal blog! It is a wonderful idea, don't you think?!

Here is one of the little tables I bought at the Antique Faire on the landing to our basement. I think I might have a zinc top made for it. I bought some antique letters drenched in glitter, strung them on a ribbon and hung them from hat rack that had been passed down to me. That is a West Elm red lacquer nesting table with an Asian wire lantern on top. There is an American Indian rug I got from a visit to my Mother in New Mexico, an ironstone bowl of pine cones, and a vintage collection of miniature Christmas trees on the shelf.

This is the tree that I put in our basement room. I put toy ornaments, carved red beads, and Scandinavian straw ornaments on this one.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Cooper!

15 comments:

Style Court said...

Lovely Katie. Thanks for sharing so much! What a nice big tree. I'm a citrus fan too :)

halcyon said...

Katiedid, Thanks for the mention about the cloche. I love the idea, I am glad you like it. Save the inserts from medicine bottles (the anti humidity tumblers, and it will absorb the moisture, though I really don't mind it. I forgot to say, don't put the fruit in cold, too.

• Your staircase is so beautiful. I love the newel posts! The design and trim is great.
• The pomander balls, fruit, the striping on the lemons and the graduated pyramid is classic. I forgot to do pomanders this year.
• I like you putting nuts around. Nuts and fruit were a big part of my childhood christmasses.
• I see so many of the vintage ornaments I have. Some were my Mom's too.
• Where did you get the capiz candleholder on the newel post. We have capiz stars from 25 years ago. I'd like to have one of those!
• And finally, your white marble is SO beautiful. Your kitchen is my dream.

Thanks again for the mention. Happy New Year!

robyn said...

Katie, wonderful photos, your home looks beautiful : )

the House of Beauty and Culture said...

How lovely and what a pretty tree!
Not only did you get a picture, but you got him to smile as well!

Mrs. Blandings said...

Katie - it's all beautiful; your guests must have felt so welcome. I can see that the bead garland is exactly what my tree is missing. Bet I can find some on sale! Happy New Year.

Pigtown-Design said...

Katie... It all looks so warm and welcoming! And the dog is darling. I love the idea of the fruit in the cloche. We always have tangerines or clementines on CHristmas morning as an homage to my father's childhood in pre-war Britain.

Happy New Year!

Gypsy Purple said...

Hope you had a blessed Christmas. Wishing you and yours a prosperous 2008!!!

Things That Inspire said...

I hope you have a wonderful day! My children have been making pomanders throughout the month. I had no idea that whole cloves were so expensive!!! But, it is a charming touch to the holidays, a great tradition.

Bhavna said...

Such a beautiful tree! And I love how you have made every corner of your home festive...I find myself humming Christmas carols after reading through your post :-)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Your home and decorations are so lovely! That stairway is awesome! I am so glad you shared your Christmas photos!

And the dog, well, how cute is he?!

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Wishing you the happiest of New Years! You've been such an inspiration to me since we've become acquainted (and becoming BFF!) through our blogs, thanks so much for all you do!

xoxo
Melissa

Patricia Gray said...

Katie...it all looks lovely. Your mantle, your Christmas trees, the citrus (I can smell the cloves)and Cooper. I am sure that a Merry Christmas was had by all at your beautiful home.

Me, Myself, & I said...

Your home is so beautifully decorated for the holidays. You can have me over anytime! I love the cloche idea and the citris on the mantle. I might have to "borrow" that idea...I have to get a mantle first! (My never ending nightmare!). Your tree is beautiful...it looks like Santa was good to your family this year with a million gifts under the tree. Happy holidays!

Splaneyo said...

Katie,

Your home is gorgeous - it has all of the charm of an old house, but shows none of the bumps and bruises.

My mom and grandmother are both Cancers too, but late June. It is definitely a good sign.

Happy New Year!
Heather

Neutral Dwelling said...

What lovely Christmas decor in a beautiful setting! I really liked your dining room centerpiece!

katiedid said...

Thank you all for visitng me this Christmas! I had alot of fun with my house this year.
Halcyon- Dare I say, I got the capiz candleholders from my home away from home: Taget! Abnd thank you again for the cloche idea! I will try your tips for next year. There was a bit of humidity inside.
Hi Splanayo! I must say there are many bumps and bruises still to be ironedout around here. Little by little!