Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bear Valley and Murphy's

It's been awhile since my last post and I hope you forgive me! I have just returned from a long weekend in Bear Valley. Bear Valley is the kind of place you imagine when you think of the ski resorts of the 50's: small, charming, and beautifully secluded.

Every year for the last six years we have rented a little cabin in the hills above the cross country ski area. It lies next to a little creek and has it's own family of Blue Jays that all of the cabin's guests are charged with feeding.

The cabin has knotty pine floors and antique rugs. I love this antique bench used as a coffee table in the Living Room.

The owners have used fabrics and wallpaper borders in the William Morris style, which is a nice change from the expected "mountain motifs".

All of the bedrooms are charming and simple. It is the kind of place where one can relax and renew.

Every year we ski, cross country ski and sled in the stunning Sierra Nevada Mountains.

We build our own sled course through the trees near the cabin and it gets a little longer every year. The weekend never seems quite long enough.

But we do look forward to spending the afternoon in the Gold Rush town of Murphy's on our way home. It has become a very popular wine producing town, home of Stevenot and Ironstone wineries amoung many others. Many of the original stone buildings on the main street have been turned into antique shops, restaurants, art galleries and boutiques.

The Murphy's Historic Hotel, in business since the mid 1800's.

One of the many original stone buildings turned antique shop.

The Grounds coffee shop and restaurant.



Espresso and cookies at the Aria Bakery is a must!

We had lunch at a restaurant called Alchemy. Beet and Watercress salad to start and a wonderful chicken pot pie. Mmmm.

Spring has arrived in Murphy's and the show of flowers was beautiful!

Happy Trails!

18 comments:

robyn said...

What a wonderful place & post : ) love the photos

The Peak of Chic said...

Katie- Looks like a lot of fun. The cabin you rented is just charming!

pve design said...

Lovely place, makes me want to hibernate there!
No pun intended!

Lisa & Alfie at The Pickled Hutch said...

I love Murphys, it is such a time warp and retains alot of its original charm. I could use a weekend away. Its been awhile, sigh.....
Lisa & Alfie

SimplyGrove said...

Oh my goodness, looks like a great town!! 2 of my favorite ski towns are Jackson Hole (where I lived some of my childhood) and Sun Valley (I live near currently) but both of them are becoming way to commercialized. It would be fun to visit Bear Valley! Thanks for the post.

Pigtown-Design said...

WOW! We have 2 inches of snow here and everyone's in a panic. I can't imagine having as much snow as Bear Valley!

katiedid said...

Hi Robin Jennifer and pve! It was a wonderful weekend. Thanks for the visit!

katiedid said...

Hi Lisa and Alfie! I am going to have to visit your shop soon! I love Murphy's too!

katiedid said...

Hi SG! Thanks for the visit! Wow, you have lived in some great places. We actually live closer to the Tahoe resorts, but go the extra mile to Bear Valley because it is much more laid back and relaxing!

katiedid said...

Hi PD!
There was about 10 feet in Bear Valley, but the roads were surprisingly clear and the skies were crystal clear! Perfect weather.

Me, Myself & I said...

Okay...you have to quit stalking me (just kidding)...first we almost cross paths in San Francisco then both of us spending time in the snow....I guess at some point we are bound to meet up!

You have some lovely pictures here.

Brilliant Asylum said...

I sad we are not getting a ski trip in this year (a downside of living in Georgia). Thanks for sharing your weekend with us. The little cabin and town look charming.

katiedid said...

Hi Me!
We had so much fun! Your trip to Mammoth looks wonderful! We used to backpack above Lake Sabrina back in the day! Beautiful in the East Sierras!

katiedid said...

Hello Brilliant! Thanks for the visit. I imagine Georgia is gorgeous!

Bhavna said...

Looks like it must have been a very cozy and a fun holiday! :-)

Teal Chic said...

I've been to Murphy's for the wineries, but after seeing your photos I really need to get up there in the winter!!! Beautiful!!!!!!!

Ski Bear 4 Life said...

care to be on my blog?

katiedid said...

Hi Ski Bear!
Of course! We are Bear Valley fans. Glad you stopped in for a visit.:)