Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wayfarer's Chapel

I was emailing with blogger friend Joni over at Cote de Texas recently, and somehow we got on the subject of where we got married. I had mentioned that Mr. K and I had gotten married in a glass chapel above the ocean. It is known as the Wayfarer's Chapel:

Mr. K and I are both lovers of architecture, and this chapel represented to us that commonality. We wanted a place that was beautiful and close to the coast. Many in California have seen or heard about this little chapel. But there are many of you that may be seeing it for the first time.

It is indeed made of glass and is situated on the cliffs above the Pacific in Palos Verdes, California. One of the most intriguing things for us, after it's beautiful setting and amazing architecture, was the fact that it was designed and built by the son of Frank Lloyd Wright: Lloyd Wright.

Lloyd Wright thought of the chapel as a "tree chapel":
“I wanted particularly to allow those trees and those trunks to be seen and the space beyond and into infinity to be observed, so those who sat in the sanctuary would perceive the grandeur of space out beyond and around them.”
“When the trees that surround the Chapel grow up, they will become the framework, become a part of the tree forms and branches that inevitably arise from the growing trees adjacent to it. I used the glass so that the natural growth, the sky, and sea beyond became the definition of their environment. This is done to give the congregation protection in services and at the same time to create the sense of outer as well as inner space.”

“The great cathedrals of redwood inspired me to use the redwoods here. In earlier days all over the face of the earth there were chapels in glades and the woods which were meeting places for the priests and the people. The Chapel was to be a place for people to meet, and think, and contemplate the forces of nature and God Almighty. The setting of this Chapel is to receive people, the wayfarers.”

Excerpts from A Visit with the Architect 1974

Wright Family Photo. That must be Lloyd being taught who was the real boss in this family


Lloyd Wright

The chapel interior needed no adornment. And really, none are allowed. There are ferns and orchids growing all around the edges, and a beautifully trained tree is framed above the altar.



The chapel at night glowing with welcoming light.

A view of the chapel surrounded by a grove of trees. Sort of a magical place.


The view from the steps of the chapel looking out at the Pacific. Is it not one of the most beautiful settings? We thought so.

And finally, the happy couple: me and Mr. K

To see more photos of the Wayfarer's Chapel, learn about it's history and it's religious philosophy, click here.

31 comments:

Patricia Gray said...

The chapel is exquisite and so is your wedding photo. Thanks for sharing.

Cote de Texas said...

Katie - I am stunned. This is my favorite post of yours ever. I can not get over how gorgeous this church is. It is simply breathtaking. I had no idea how absolutely beautiful it was. You must have had the prettiest wedding ever. And you were such a beautiful bride! I love your bouquet especially!!! I am so touched by this!! AND Mr K. is really just too cute. Is he still this cute? He looks like a kid in the picture - you both do!!!!

Thank you for posting this!
Joni

Mélanie said...

I love this chapel ! What a beauttiful place to get married ...

berryberr said...

Just found your nice blog! Will be checking back often from now on!

Rima said...

Hello Katiedid :)
Thanks for your visit and kind words, glad you enjoyed your HErmitage wander...
I like the name "wayfarer's chapel" what a lovely place to get married.
All best wishes to you
Rima

Alex said...

I cannot believe that I had completely forgotten about this beautiful place. I used to live in Los Gatos and when I was looking at colleges we stopped by to see it. Katie, thank you for bringing back the California coast memories...I'm going to spend the day in reverie!

jae said...

Wow! Magical doesn't begin to describe it! First time I had seen pictures of this magnificent chapel. Stunning.

katiedid said...

Hi Patricia! I know you have much appreciation for architecture, so I am glad you enjoyed!

katiedid said...

Hi Joni! Thanks so much for the inspiration to do this post! And, yes...to me Tim will always be this cute. He has a beautiful smile. And yes, we were ALOT younger then!

katiedid said...

Hi Melanie! Thanks for stopping in!

Hello Berryberr, I am very glad you found me!

katiedid said...

Hello Rima!
I am glad you stopped by! Your blog is as enchanting as this chapel. I hope people find their way to you!

katiedid said...

Hi Alex!
I am glad you enjoyed. The California coast really is amazing. There are not too many places like this to get married, and I am glad we got to be married here. My Aunt and Uncle lived just around the corner, so I was lucky enough to know the chapel well.

katiedid said...

Hello Jae! And welcome! Thanks for stopping in and I am off to see your blog. :)

jae said...

Hello again...I love that you are adding my link....I have yours, too. The surprize balls are one of our staples. You can find them here...www.seaandjae.com. THANKS AGAIN!

PJ said...

Simply gorgeous! It reminds me of the Holy Family Shrine in Gretna, Nebraska--but with better views! How amazing that you were married there.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Such an exquisite place and such a wonderful place to have as part of your own personal history. I was so moved by Mr. Wright's words on his design of the chapel. His intentions seem to have been realized a hundred fold. Thanks so much for posting this.

And on a strictly superficial note...I love your dress!

The House of Beauty and Culture said...

Simply beautiful. Every bit of it.

mrsplainjane said...

This post is so great- I grew up adoring that chapel- it was on the front of one of my piano books and I always dreamed of getting married there! :) We did end up getting married by the ocean, but not in Southern Cal, and not in that gorgeous chapel. I finally visited it a few years back, and enjoyed it so much. How wonderful you got to say your vows there!!

Rachel Mallon said...

I just got engaged and these images are very inspirational for me. Thank you!

Things That Inspire said...

What a beautiful post! What a lovely and unique chapel. I am re-reading Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth, so this post particularly resonates as the theme of the book is building a beautiful catherdral in 12th century England. If you have never read this book, and you love architecture, it is a must read. It is my favorite book of all time. I am going to read the follow up, World Without End, as soon as I finish Pillars.

anh-minh said...

Wow. What a gorgeous chapel and setting. Now I want to take a road trip and see it in person!

katiedid said...

Hi PJ!
You are so right! I googled The Holy Family SHrine you wrote about and there is a definite similarity. It is beautiful as well.

katiedid said...

Hi Pamela!
It really is amazing. The trees are really the point! (Oh- and thanks about the dress.:))

katiedid said...

Thanks HOBAC!

Hi Jane- I'd love to see where you got married. :)

katiedid said...

Hi Rachel! Thanks for the visit, and I am glad you are inspired. Congratualtions! You will have fun planning I am sure. :)

katiedid said...

Hi TTI-
I finished the second book this summer, and enjoyed it as much as the first. I loved reading about the growth and personalities in this medieval town. A great story!

Hi anh-minh-
It is well worth the trip! Thanks for the visit.:)

franki durbin said...

what a sweet story, and an unbelievable venue. We looked out over water for our wedding, too. Your view looked magnificent!

mandco said...

Wow what a spectacular location!

Marie Louise said...

What a gorgeous location. It looks almost magical there. Were there fairies flying about? You two look so sweet in the last photo.

Style Court said...

Katie, I'm so glad you shared this. I can't think of a more perfect place for your wedding! Stunning. (Love your picture too.)

Fifi Flowers said...

That Chapel is spectacular... very famous! Your photo is lovely... the beautiful bride and her beau... love your post!