Monday, October 20, 2008

Fringe Benefits

I had an extra half hour after work last Friday before heading off to my Book Group, so I stopped in one of my favorite shops in Sacramento, Fringe. Owned and operated by the very stylish Laurie Newman-Wells, this shop is full of unique, beautiful and one of a kind finds. AND, I live very close, so I can drive by almost everyday and peek in the window. Sigh. Lucky me!

As soon as I walked in the door I spotted this wonderful grouping put together by Laurie: an Elk bronze (very politically current!), original painting and wooden hand model on top of an stainless steel apothecary chest. From the get go, you can see that Laurie has such a great eye.

The front window display has a French Leather club chair holding a gilt chandelier sitting in front of a fantastic quadruple head industrial lamp. Notice a couple of pieces from a full set of vintage crocodile luggage! And I have got to find out what the metal basket piece used to be. Perhaps perfect for a table base!

This twig table would be so wonderful as a desk, sofa back table or console. And the tortoise shell is actually a lamp. Fringe also has a great selection of gift items: candles, books...

I think I could take home everything in this window display: The end table made from a metal box, glazed elephant garden stool, the trumeau mirror with old glass, and I love that basket!

This chair was fantastic. It is metal with a brass finish and a black leather cushion. Sigh. I can imagine at a dressing table, or a very chic office chair. The desk is vintage stainless steel .

Another collection of unique finds: Vintage locker drawers, wire basket and globe, painting. Love the vintage gold basket purse.

This marble topped table was beautiful, but what really caught my eye here were the unframed portraits: his and hers. Perfect for anyone collecting portraiture.

These two are quite a pair. I haven't seen a camel like this before and it would be a perfect accent on a large entry table.

Loved this bar cart. Can you see the bottle caddy near the handle? Clever!

Nice collection or transfer ware.

Laurie has a lot of things that can be used inside and out. I love this table which could be the centerpiece in a kitchen with it's butcher block top.

More gift ideas to pamper yourself!

There is a quite a collection of vintage jewelry, and I really like the table under the case! Again it has that sort of industrial chic with the wood top.

Seeing this pair of entry lions with the Bergere chair and large garden urn made me think of something Michael Taylor might have done. Fabulous!

Laurie also has a back patio full of outdoor treasures like this faux bois planter.

So if you are ever in Sacramento, this is a MUST SEE!

The Fringe Website is still under construction, but will be up and running SOON, so keep checking back: http://www.fringe21.com/. In the meantime, if you see something you can't live without, you can contact Fringe at: 916-706-0216 or laurie@fringe21.com

Some of you may have heard of X21 owned by John Conaty, which began in Sacramento near the corner of X and 21st Streets (hence the name). It is well known for it's retro industrial chic style. Fringe is now in it's place and the owners of both shops are quite good buddies. X21 has since moved to San Francisco morphing into Sultana on 1st dibs. If you are ever in Fringe, don't hesitate to ask Laurie about items you may be interested in from X21. She has the inside scoop!

25 comments:

Paris Hotel Boutique said...

Katie, I was thrilled to see the post about Fringe! Laurie and I have been good friends for many years. We've even gone on buying trips together. She has an amazing eye and Fringe definitely reflects that. I was there just recently and absolutely the eclectic mix of vintage and new. You took beautiful shots of the store and I can't wait to go up and visit Laurie and Audrey. Lynn

katiedid said...

Lynn! Next time you are in town I would love to meet you! Lynn is so nice and sooo very talented. You guys must have so much fun together on your trips. The antique business is such a small world, huh?

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I would have a hard time extracting myself from this store!

That bar cart...HWAH! (that's a gasp. ;-) I've never seen one quite like it, and I am in love. Thanks for sharing all this eye candy.

jaithan said...

great store...love that brass bamboo chair too!
-jaithan

katiedid said...

Hi Laura!
It is definitely hard to leave. The barcart was so very cool! Glad you enjoyed!

katiedid said...

There can only be one Jaithan! Thanks for stopping by!:) Love your blog BTW. I stop in every day. Your photos are very inspiring. You and Eddie make quite a team.

And the chair is even better in person!!!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Oooooh...JUST the type of store I wouldn't mind getting locked in at night. (what? Didn't you ever read "From the mixed up files of Mrs. basil E. Frankweiler" when you were a kid?).

Passed your "state" tag along today.

LindsB said...

I love this store! I wish I lived closer to see more for myself, but then again I would have broken the bank a little with all those fun things! Thanks for posting this, its going on my list of places to visit.

Mrs. Blandings said...

What a fabulous spot - dangerous when they are so handy.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Ooh, I want that camel in my garden!

Plaid Pomegranate said...

Wonderful looking store, I'll have to check it out next time I'm up that way. There's also a shop called the French Hen, and its sister store next door... neat things as well!

maison21 said...

excellent merchandising mix, and that faux-bois planter is incredible. is it vintage? if so, she should make a mold of it and sell them new!

Pigtown-Design said...

What a great store and i love their building!!! How cool is that!

And for Linda at Lime & Coconut, The Mixed Up Files was my favourite book when I was little... And I also know the girl who writes the food blog, Lime & Coconut!

AT THE PICKLED HUTCH said...

I always wondered about the origin of X21's name. I'll have to take a drive to Sacramento next time I visit my mom in Stockton. I really like the table behind the camels. And the wonderful lockers.
Lisa & Alfie

katiedid said...

Hi Linda! Yes! That book was one of my all time favorites, which I passed along to my girls. I still have the book! It's a keeper.

katiedid said...

Hi Lins
Thanks for visiting! I hope you get a chance to visit Fringe. It is worth it. :)

katiedid said...

Mrs. B- I know! There are so many hthings and the ease of access may get me in trouble.

Pamela- very Aesop's Fable, no?

katiedid said...

Hellp Plaid Pomegranite! I have been meaning to get over to the French Hen and do a post about it as well! So much to post....so little time!!!

katiedid said...

Hi M21-
I don't think the planter is new. She has smaler ones also, and I think more than one of the bigger ones. Wouldn't it make a great centerpiece?

katiedid said...

Hi Meg!
It is a very cool building!

Hi Lisa! I hope you get a chance to come up! If you do maybe we could meet up.:)

Emily Johnston | EJ Interiors said...

What a fun looking place..just a little too far from me- thanks for giving us texans a sneek peak

Alkemie said...

Gorgeous store! I love it when you share with us beautiful boutiques and stores.

Karen

dolcechic said...

Just for curiosity I have a vintage mannequin that I would like to sell, as well as other vintage items. I'm in Wilton (about 30 minutes south of Sacramento) in case you know anybody who is interested. Thanks!

Claudia Juestel / Adeeni said...

What a fabulous place Katie. Thank you for sharing the "secret" with us.

Cheers,

Claudia

miranda said...

Authentic Provence will awaken all your senses with its most complete and genuine collection of the most distinctive French garden antiques and home décor the Mediterranean has to offer, carefully chosen by its owner an appassionato European art historian.
Authentic Provence reflects an intimate portrait of (the south of) France where the outdoor living is saturated with the most refined yet simple garden antiques (savoir faire). Visit www.authenticprovence.com for more information.