Thursday, December 10, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree.....

Living Room Console all ready for the Holidays

It is that time of year again....time to deck the halls and all that jazz. I am finding that this year, the "divide and conquer" method is working for me. I have been working on one room at a time, and so far I am almost done with the Living Room. Granted, I have had help, but the duties are largely up to me. My family has found over the years that I am particular about the tree lights. Guess what? When one is particular, one finds that one is relegated to completing the task oneself. It takes me about 4 hours all together to do the lights.....I know....a bit compulsive.

But isn't it pretty? I do enjoy the fruits of all that labor. I truly do.

Our tree all finished

It all starts with this:

And this is not all of it, believe me. I have been collecting ornaments and "stuff" for a long time, and many of the ornaments were collected by my mother and passed on to me. As Mom has downsized over the years, I have become the lucky beneficiary.


As I said, I did have lots of help, and here are my little elves working away.

All done!

I decided to use burlap as my tree skirt for the first time, and am not quite sure what took me so long! I love how it drapes and the color is perfect for any color scheme. Best of all, it is very affordable and available.


And evening all lit up.

The tree was done first. Then on to the console. Every year I do a little something different on this table for the Holidays. One of my very favorite Christmas movies is the musical, SCROOGE. So I decided to add a little Dickens to my decor this year.


I used ribbon with music printed on it, and brass horns which I have had for many years. I stacked vintage books to add some different heights. I found a vintage star the other day at a shop I love (I will blog about it soon!) covered in tarnished glitter.

I have added silver candlestick holders leaving them a bit tarnished. I may be alone here, but I love a little bit of tarnish on my silver (unless it is to be used at the table). It has a bit of a romantic quality. I cut some boxwood from our garden and put it in silver baby cups (one was my father's, one was mine and a couple were from other family members.) Derby cups would also be pretty, but I do like the personality of the baby cups.

I added some votive candles and some evergreen cuttings.

Oh....and a few gold painted pine cones. (Here's a tip: if you buy wreaths that have pine cones on them, save them for future use before disposing of the wreath after the holidays. They do come in handy and are already pre-wired.)

As I said, I did have quite a bit of help. We put on the Christmas Carols, had some hot cider and had a wonderful evening making things merry and bright! But now it's time to take a little rest, sit back and enjoy........

25 comments:

Annie said...

I love the baby cups - so sentimental. I too like tarnish on my silver. It is pretty all shined up, but I like the aged look myself. The tree is gorgeous & I love how worn out the dog was from all the hard work! Thank you for sharing!

vignette design said...

I use burlap for my tree skirt too. I think it is way cooler that a constructed skirt. Anyway, great post. Your tree and decorations are gorgeous. I love the ribbon hanging from the mirror. Great shot with the tree in reflection. And the dog asleep! --Delore

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Such a fabulously beautiful post!! I love it all!! Especially the sleeping puppy! And WHAT are those amazing books???? I can see one is a Fairy Tale book, but what is it one with the lion on the spine????

Hill Country House Girl said...

It is all beautiful, Katie. I love the console and the tree! I can especially relate to the dog under the tree - except at my house it is the cats who always seem fascinated with the tree skirt and the water in the tree stand! Merry Christmas!!

tartanscot said...

flawlessly perfect! I just love the 'exuberance' of the whole presentation!

and, yes, love the burlap. It's one of my favourite textiles to work with.

Happy Christmas,
Scot

Boxwood Terrace said...

Such a beautiful tree and ablaze with lights in the third picture! I'm impressed that you spent four hours putting on the lights! I get impatient and the whole tree was decorated in two hours. Your tree skirt looks great--thanks for the comment and idea! Merry Christmas!

My Notting Hill said...

Looks beautiful. Love what you did with the mirror and console.

Toad said...

Thank you for allowing us to share your beautiful holiday.

Karena said...

Beautiful job of holiday decorating, It is all lovely. I love the holiday vignette.

HOBAC said...

Gorgeous.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Beautiful tree!

You know...we have used colored lights for eons...but this year I have a real desire for white lights.

I dunno...I could see some of the heads popping off over that one...we'll see.

PS...I am loving those two leather chairs!

bluehydrangea said...

It all looks fabulous!! Since you are all finished why not swing by house and help me!! I have burlap, baby cups and cider..and something stronger if needed.

GrannySmithGreen said...

Oh, Kadie! I think it's all just beautiful! The tree and decorations are all so warm and inviting! I could sip on cider here for hours! Just lovely!

LaurenFaythe said...

Very pretty! I love how you used burlap for the tree - and the console looks fabulous!

Renae said...

I love it Katie! Absolutely beautiful...love your 'tuckered out' puppy too!
xx

Charis said...

So beautiful! Just what I needed to get me in the spirit to start decorating! Like you, my family has learned to disappear after bringing in the tree. At least we still all go get the tree together.

I love your leather chairs, too! Where did you get them?

SogniSorrisi said...

Everything looks great! Love the console!

Marie said...

Now I am in the Christmas mood. :)

Sounds like you had a beautiful evening putting it all together and I love the last picture of your pup under the tree passed out, I guess he likes the burlap too. :)

katiedid said...

Hello all!
Thank you all so much for your very kind words! It makes my day. It is a wonderful time of year and I hope you all have a wonderful Holiday Season!

A couple of you have asked about the books on my console table. They are a collection called "the Young Folks Library" put out by the Hall and Locke Company, Copyright 1902. There are 20 books altogether and have such titles a "Tales of Fantasy","A Book of Brave Deeds", and " A Book of School and College Days". There are beautiful illustration plates in each book. They are a treasure! The black books are the collected works of Robert Lewis Stevenson, who is a great, great, uncle (or thereabouts)of mine.

Also, The leather wingbacks are from Hickory Chair here:
http://www.hickorychair.com/product_detail.aspx?i=694

Again Happy Holidays to you all!
Katie

Jaime said...

What a pretty tree! Love it and the sleeping pup too :)

Cote de Texas said...

Just gorgeous! it's amazing how different it looks in different times and with lights. and I love the Scrooge them on the console. but the puppy is the cutest awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! hehe - I can only imagine what a help he was!

Hopeless Chest said...

The tree looks amazing. I've been collection ornaments for two years now for myself, but I haven't had a tree. I am running out of space to keep them all. But I can't believe how many boxes you have!!

Sarah said...

Love your decorating! I just did my house last week too and posted the pix on my humble blog...it was fun. I love the last photo of the dog and the lights...too cute!! PS: what is Christmas without Scrooge?? (must see movie: 'A Christmas Carol' with Alastair Sim, 1952 - the best version!)Merry Christmas!

maison21 said...

absolutely gorgeous, katie! and the last picture is too adorable!

Becky said...

I love the burlap. Very unique choice - it folds so nicely. I also love the trumpet on your console.