Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Kitchen Pendant Lights

Pendant lights. They are like the icing on the cake, the last piece of jewelry to make the outfit perfect. When I was designing my kitchen, I wanted something simple, classic, and a bit on the casual side. I was going for a vintage farmhouse with a little commercial kitchen and Napa Bistro thrown in. We love to cook and spend a lot of time in our kitchen, so I wanted really good light. With the EPA standards in California, 50% of the wattage in a kitchen must be Fluorescent or comparable. This made it a bit difficult to put in any incandescent fixtures, but one must have something with some character! 


I found just the thing when I was picking out lighting at Lumens Light and Living here in Sacramento. These Pendants from Roost had just what I was looking for. They look a little industrial with their beaker shaped hand-blown glass, and I love the long filament bulbs. I also like the way the glass is held in place with the hand tightened screws.

I have received many emails requesting information about these pendants and if they are still available.I decided I should check and see! And YES! Lumens can still get them for you. They are not shown on their online catalog, so give them a call at their Sacramento showroom HERE and ask for Sean. Tell him you are looking for the glass cylinder pendant from Roost....he will know all of the information.

Thank you for all of your emails!

18 comments:

Rikke said...

Oh..I like them!!

A House and Home said...

Love them. They are so different from anything I've seen.

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

These are perfection and from what I can spy, I'm in love with your kitchen.

thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

Kate from Party Resources said...

To quote Rachel Z. - these are MAJOR! I love them!

serena at the urban farmhouse said...

I'm now even more in love with your kitchen than before. The photo I have of it, doesn't show the pendants as well. I adore them. The lightbulbs are super cool.

maison21 said...

love 'em, katie!

Jen of Made By Girl said...

I think they really compliment your kitchen, but then again your kitchen is just as AMAZING. Love your backsplash.
:)))))))))))))


www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

Mrs. Blandings said...

You are getting all those email because they are perfect in every way. Really.

quintessence said...

I adore these !! They are distinctive but I think very versatile - they can walk the line between modern and traditional without missing a step. And I also love Roost (especially the accessories) - didn't realize they did lighting.

dining furniture said...

I love your lights! They are so cute! This is something I should try, too!

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

I'm really lovin those pendants.

TheKeyBunch said...

Love them! I am hosting a kitchen party titled, It's the cook's nook and would love to see you participate!

Sharon

lighting said...

the long lights are really wonderful....

Malibu landscape lighting said...

Oooh, you’re such an inspiration. I love this blog!

Anonymous said...

great looking lights. i have a quick question...i would love to put these in my kitchen renovation over my island but worry about the glare factor. are they blinding when looking across the room being they are at eye level? many thanks and nice job on the kitchen.

katiedid said...

Hello Anon!

Thanks for reading!

I would recommend the pendants. No glare problem as far as we are concerned. We do have the pendants on a dimmer, but generally keep them on full strength. They provide the best light in the kitchen. Originally, they came with special filament lights which can be replaced with bulbs from Rejuvination. But we have found that refrigerator lights from the grocery store a much less expensive and look pretty good!

Good luck with the remodel!

Cheers!

Jailbreak said...

You have created very cool looking kitchen and the light are even more fascinating!
Btw How long you need to change bulbs to them?

katiedid said...

Hi Jailvreak!

Thanks for visiting! The lightbulbs get changed about as often as you would change any other incandescent bulb. The filament bulbs are really pretty, but we found a less expensive alternative is to use refrigerator bulbs!