Thursday, January 20, 2011

Daytripping in Napa Valley - Woodhouse Chocolate

 Last weekend, my oldest daughter came home from college for the weekend and we decided to have a bit of a girl's day. Both of my girls and I hopped in the car on Sunday morning and drove to Napa for Brunch and a little adventuring. Our first stop was the town of St. Helena in the heart of the wine country. I am not sure what it is, but all three of us have acutely developed chocolate radar. It must be hereditary. We immediately found one of the most charming chocolate shops I have ever seen, Woodhouse Chocolate.
We all stopped dead in our tracks when we were passing by. We decided that we had to stop and get a little gift for Grammy (my mom), who did not feel up to coming on our little jaunt. It would be nice to think that we were so selfless as to only be thinking of others.....but...
....we are not. As soon as we entered, we were only thinking of our own chocolate needs. I chose the Amaretto Almond, and the Orange Chocolate. Daughter "one" chose the Ginger Tea and also the Orange. Daughter "two" picked the Honey and the Pecan Praline. All get an "A +".... and we are very experienced when it comes to handing out grades in this department.

We did, in fact, pick out six pieces for Grammy, including her very favorite Coconut. The gals in the shop wrapped up out package in the prettiest chocolate brown bag with cream tissue and Tiffany Blue grosgrain ribbon. Sinfully delicious perfection in a bag....that's what it was.
 I hope you have a chance to stop in next time you are in the Napa Valley. Really....what is better than wine and chocolate?

If you cannot get to this neck of the woods in the near future, you can shop online at the Woodhouse Website HERE. You can also learn all about the Anderson Family, the purveyors of this fine establishment as well as why the Elephant has become their symbol. So please do stop in and stay awhile! 

13 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

I adore St. Helena! The wine, the restaurants, and now the chocolate yeah!! I will have to visit them on my next wine tasting!!
xx
callie

quintessence said...

Sounds fabulous - and how selfless of you to go there for your mother :-) I'm with daughter #1 - ginger tea sounds delicious!!

Boxwood Terrace said...

Heavenly! Everything looks delicious as well as beautiful. The packaging of your Mom's chocolates is over the top gorgeous. I'm no where near Napa, but if I every get there, I'll be sure to visit this chocolate shop.

mary said...

Just looking at the photos and reading your description has sent me into a chocolate frenzy. Thank goodness everything is closed for the night. (But there is always tomorrow......)

Kathysue said...

I love Woodhouse Chocolates, Just the colors inside the store and the impeccable decor. Love that they all wear crisp blue oxford shirts, I always buy a chocolate when we drive up to St. Helena,Kathysue

Jane K. Schott said...

Oh, this is not what I want to see first thing in the morning. I will be hunting down chocolate all day long!

Loretta Fontaine (APPLESandRUBIES) said...

Katie- Wow! I don't think I've seen a prettier box of chocolates than that pale blue oval box! Just beautiful!

Loretta

GRAYSONFAVOUR said...

Yes, I love the shop and the chocolates and the beautiful blue boxes...my mouth is watering...maybe I will just have to drive up there next week?

EFT for Cancer said...

This place is heaven!

Renae Moore said...

Oh Katie...how decadent and oh so lovely. I know their taste was drool worthy!
xx

Vintage is for Lovers said...

Napa Valley is my favorite place, and where my now husband and I feel in Love. You are so lucky you can "day trip" to the land of magic with all of its delicious wine and chocolate! xo Samantha

The enchanted home said...

I love St. Helena! And just so happens I paid a visit being a fellow "choclateer". Yes, it is a beautiful and picture perfect little store...agreed. Good thing its not close to me, lol. This was a lovely post. We just came back from Paris and I just put up my post today about our trip with many beautiful pictures...please take a look.

www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

Thanks and great post!

gbf... said...

oh how i love chocolate! esp chocolate made well - artisan style! Looks wonderful.