Thursday, January 27, 2011

Daytripping: St. Helena in the Napa Valley



Vintage Home in St. Helena      

 Living in Northern California allows for a depth of experience I sometimes take for granted. I live in Sacramento, a city with more trees in the downtown and midtown areas than any other city in the nation. It encourages an abundance of sidewalk cafes  and fosters those human connections recently discussed on Oprah that promote happiness. It is a cozy, yet vibrant place to live.

And then there are the Sierra Nevada mountains, home to Lake Tahoe and more  world class skiing than anyone could ever need. San Francisco is a daily commute for some, and the dramatic California coast is less than two hours away. We have the Amador wine country in the Sierra foothills to the East and the lush Napa Valley to the West.

Daytripping is easy and rewarding...and something I can't get enough of. I mentioned last week a day trip with my daughters to the Napa Valley, and St. Helena was on our itinerary.

One of my favorite stops is Vintage Home. A home goods store packed with style, Vintage Home always make me yearn for my own little cottage in the valley where I could cook and have friends share a bit of wine and a round of boche ball. 


Caldwell Snyder Gallery, St. Helena
 Caldwell Snyder is a contemporary art gallery on the main street that is always fun to wander through. They have a sister gallery in San Francisco, and they are both fabulous! If you are looking for a Valentine's weekend getaway and are considering the wine country, Caldwell Snyder is hosting what will be a very fun event on Feb. 12 called Cameo Rocks. Wine, Cocktails, and other sweet treats! Check out more about the gallery HERE and more details about the event benefiting the Cameo Cinema Community Arts HERE.  
Martin Showroom, St. Helena
 I never pass through St. Helena with out stopping by designer Erin Martin's atelier. Always full of vigorous creativity and wit, it never fails to inspire me. You may remember her contribution to the Elle Decor Showhouse HERE. More info about Erin's Showroom HERE
Olivier, St. Helena
 Are you a lover of food, and by definition, that would include anything made or dipped in olive oil? Then a little hop into Olivier would be a must. Charming and friendly, this shop has olive oil tastings that are to die for. Never miss it when passing through....just a suggestion.

Olivier photo from Olivier website

After all that shopping, we were hungry!! We stopped in at the Market Restaurant for a little brunch.
Market Restaurant, St. Helena

Orange infused waffles with berry compote and chicken apple sausages is what I had.....mmmmmm! I was just checking the menu today and it has already been changed (I love a change-able menu!!). Now it is Banana Bread French Toast with Fruit Compote and Applewood Smoked Bacon....does that sound delicious, or what? Check out the brunch menu HERE.
Orange Waffles at the Market Restaurant
No trip to St. Helena ends without a stop in at Dean and Deluca as we head for home. We have a need to take a little of the flavors back home with us. In this case, we brought home cookies and a beautiful aged jack cheese. We told my husband, Tim that they were gifts for him. Just a little white lie.....he did get to have some.
Goodies at Dean and Deluca
 A day with my girls is something I treasure, and this particular day was perfect. 
I hope you get out and spend a day with someone special....maybe it'll be right here in Napa Valley.

For more information about picturesque St. Helena hop on over HERE

Happy Day to you!

21 comments:

Renee Finberg said...

K,
my dad had a couple of restaurants in lake tahoe.
i love tahoe and always wondered about living out there.
but tahoe??? what would i do?
deal black jack or be a ski instructor?
but living in Sacramento sounds like a perfect place to live.
close to all the best of everything.

thank you for this post.
xx

Splendid Sass said...

Ok...I am seriously jealous! Love Dean and Deluca. The food here has made me hungry for breakfast.
Hope that your week is going well.
Teresa
xoxo

Karena said...

Katie I love St Helena. Such a cute town. We stayed at a bed and breakfast there when going to the wine country!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Sherri Cassara said...

There is a Dean and Deluca in Napa? Wow. I thought only in NYC. We were supposed to get one in Newport Beach (SoCal) but they pulled out. This is a timely post - I was just up in Sacramento last week (working in Chico actually but shopping in Sac) and I will pass this post on to my client up there and bookmark it for the next time I go up to visit my daughter in Berkeley. I love to hear about fun trips like this. THANKS for sharing! Sherri

Callie Grayson said...

Katie,
I would love to go day tripping with you!
You know of all the fun, beautiful places.
xx
callie

serena at the urban farmhouse said...

What a perfect day! You stopped at all my favs - never been to Market will have to try next time. We are indeed lucky to live here!

annie said...

Vintage Home looks so beautiful! Makes me want to plan a trip North. You are so lucky to have a Dean & DeLuca! One of the many things I miss from NY.

Kathysue said...

Love St. Helena and you are so right living in No. Calif does afford us so many wonderful day trips. I plan a trip next week and a stop at Sattui winery on the way into St. Helena. It is such a picturesque town. Fun seeing it through your eyes,Kathysue

The enchanted home said...

I am soooo jealous. We were there about 6 months ago, St. Helena is so charming, love all the upscale wonderful European feeling shops.....you are so lucky to be able to go and visit like that. I am truly envious. Thanks for the "eye candy" getaway.
I posted my pictures on my recent Paris trip...you might also enjoy them. Hope you might take a peek (theres a part I and part II) I couldn't stop snapping away...lol.
www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

I LOVE Napa Valley...one of the most beautiful spots in the US and especially CA...looks like a great day out for you!! :))

quintessence said...

What a charming town! I've never been to Napa but will be taking a vicarious trip there soon on Wednesday Wine. So many lovely shops and always love Dean & Deluca - both of whom I knew from the early days of the original store in Soho.

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

Olive oil tasting? interesting!! :))))))

www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

shiree segerstrom said...

Katie, St. Helena is worth the drive. Vintage Home and Martin Design are favorite stops. Thanks for taking us along! Shiree'

red ticking said...

i am soooo loving napa these days... but spending way too much time in the bakeries... scary...
have a great weekend xx

red ticking said...

oh and dean and deluca... just take my purse... i am a goner... he he

Melissah said...

I just discovered your lovely blog. I'm just new into blogging & have just finished off my own blog on fashion & interior design.
http://scrapbook-melissah.blogspot.com/
I had a lot of fun putting it together maybe you would like to check it out if you have a spare minute.
x
Melissah

Carole said...

Love your daytripping Katie! I try to do a lot of here in North Carolina...and it is particularly fun to find those places that have great "connections," as you pointed out. Thanks for the St. Helena coverage - plan to be in California later this spring.
Cheers!

Christina said...

Ooh! Makes me long for a road trip with a bunch of girlfriends! Thanks for the posting!! LOVELY!!!
~Christina ;-)

http://christinaville.wordpress.com/

Amy R. said...

I feel like packing a bag and taking a trip after reading this post. Everything is just lovely.

Amy R.

designchic said...

What a wonderful day trip...I drive to Charlotte, about and hour a way just to go to Dean and Deluca!!

Jennifer said...

My mom, a friend & I did a similar quick trip @ xmas. It's always such a welcome treat. Nothing like quaint beautiful St. helena. Napa Vintage home is my fav, great seasonal rotation. Woodhouse is addicting. We always grab a sandwich @ Guigni's & then walk over & get a few choice pieces- like cinnamon toast, fresh mint & toasted coconut. ;) Love your post! Looks so fun. :)