Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fresh Finds at the Sacramento Antique Faire

I had the chance to hit the Sacramento Antique Faire last Sunday ( it takes place on the second Sunday of every month. I was expecting rain, but it held off in the morning long enough for us to scan all of the isles and find some treasures.

The thing about antique faires I love is the hunt for that overlooked gem....it may not be in perfect condition, but it might be perfect for me. You may remember this blog post where I found the painting in the photo above for $30!!! This time, I came across the beautiful blue bottle....it worked out pretty well with the painting I think.


I have also been rearranging a few things in the Living Room to lift my spirits during this rain on, rain off season (right now....rain). Bringing out a few of my shells go a long way to get me thinking about summer. There is something about knotted rope that gets me reminiscing about sailing lazily about Balboa Bay. So when I came upon a large green glass bottle surrounded by knotted ropes, I stopped in my tracks. I assumed it would be a big splurge, since many demi-john bottles this size can be upwards of $300 on ebay. There was a slight bit of damage at the neck, so I thought "why not ask the price?".  Can you guess why it ended up in my Living Room?


$20........ That's why. I think I was a little in shock at first.....I almost walked away thinking the damage had significantly lowered it's value. Value, schmalue!!!! The late great Madeline Castaing was never fastidious about a decorative item being perfect...why should I be? $20 was an absolute steal and I love it! 

Here are just a few of the things I did not walk away with, but I dream of houses where they could find a home:



A few antique vendors from the Antique Trove in Roseville ( a half hour drive from Sacramento) made the trip down to the Faire. I am glad they did! I will be visiting the Trove a little more often in the future. (This booth is where I picked up my blue bottle.)


I loved the grey painted glasses case...just the whole display got me thinking. The books on top were a collection of Dickens greats.

I also had fun at this gardening display...the old concrete bird bath, the glass float in the bucket, the lidded metal containers, it all could have come home...but I must restrain myself or I would make the next episode of Hoarders.

I had to leave myself something to hunt for next time!

17 comments:

Blue Muse said...

OooOOO I love that rope knotted bottle! It sends me to nautical dreams, too. The blue one is gorgeous with your painting, and I could so use that grey glasses case in my studio! So many finds. I'm so glad that you shared them!

The weather has been crazy down south of you, too. I hope I never see rain, again. :)

Hope you're having a good week!

xo Isa

La Dolfina said...

That rope bottle is what I would call FREE! Now that was an incredible buy!
I have 4 more of those blue bottles, on with a label and a pair that have some naive painting on them.
Email me if you are interested in seeing them!
Looked like a fun excursion :)
I would love to go that market sometime.
Best,
Terri

Karena said...

Katie that is such a great find!! I adore your trunk as well!

Come and enter my just in time for Spring Giveaway!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Ooh.
Love these summertime ideas!
Congratulations on your lovely bargain!

Callie Grayson said...

Katie you lucky girl! reminds me of fishing glass ball floats with the rope knots.
I love that cabinet under the livery sign. Looks like it sold with the tag, it would be perfect for shoes!!
xx
callie

quintessence said...

Great finds!! The roped bottle was a ridiculous price!! And I love the living room vignette!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! What a steal deal!! Love all things nautical as I grew up in Balboa and my dad was a 'master mariner', a sea captain! Love your blog!

Heidiopia said...

Love decorating with demijohns and this one has fabulous character...kudos! Fun post-- I love virtual antiquing. :)
Heidi @ Show Some Decor

The enchanted home said...

How fun...you got some deals and steals!! Nothing like finding unexpected treasures!

Boho Farm and Home said...

Bravo..job well done! I still cannot believe you found that great painting for $30! What a find. I also love the booth with all the vintage galvinized chicken waterers. Looks like a lot of fun!
xo
Caroline

Homan Rajai said...

1st off those demijohns are hand to find...
2nd they always look new and that cheapens it...
3rd $20!?!?

That is amazing...

and those white washed wood pillars from the antique trove... must have... 4 posts for each corner of the bed.

best
muhmamashop.blogspot.com

casapinka said...

$20?! You really nailed this one - who cares about the neck, right? Love these photos - makes me excited for flea season (market, that is.) : )

siryoz0 said...

It is really an absolute steal for just 20$ you own a great treasure, it reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean with that set-up lovely!Somewhere in antique kansas city you can also find adorable products like the vintage scissors i bought last time.

Jane Schott said...

I just never get tired of a mirror on top of a mirror. this is a great example of it done well.

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

You got a deal and a half on the knotted bottle! I would have scooped that up in a heart beat. Well done! Looks/sounds like a great antique show.

eddieross said...

There is nothing better than a great find at a great price!!! And it looks like you found it.
I hope you had a fabulous weekend!
Xo,
E&J

*Chic Provence* said...

Katie...great finds! I'll meet you next time :)

xoxo

Kit