Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Master Bath Before and After

 Design projects always looks best when photographed professionally, but I was so pleased with how a recent project turned out, I had to share a little "before and after" peek. I am blessed with really wonderful clients, and the young couple who own this house are no exception. We are working together to refresh all of the interiors while the exterior is also getting a facelift. The Master Bath is the first room to be completed.
The house was built in the 20's and the original bathroom was in need of an update. The goals were to add storage, expand the shower if possible, and create a fresh, classic, and pretty bathroom. I was also asked if two sinks would fit.

I created more storage with a custom made vanity, and also by fabricating medicine cabinets using twin mirrors from Restoration Hardware. I chose antique brass sconces and ceiling mounted fixtures from Circa Lighting, the finish picking up on the gilt detail on the mirrors. There was even a little drawer in between the tub and shower. Classic Polished nickel plumbing fixtures, Calacutta Marble Counters, and marble mosaic floor finish off the design. Thanks to a very talented contractor, Eloy Tapia of GTO Construction, everything came together beautifully!

  

 Here is a little peek at the "before", actually very nostalgic and cute (check out the sweet little vanity!), but very "dysfunctional":
 By relocating a window to over the toilet, I was able to grab more wall space for the medicine cabinet mirrors.
 We were able to reuse the tub, which was resurfaced. The shape was irreplaceable and actually left room for a larger shower, as well as room in the budget for the beautiful finishes!
 The wall around the shower was replaced with frameless glass and enlarged, making the whole bathroom feel much larger.
Best part? Very happy clients!!

There are a couple of details to finish up: art and accesories, and window coverings. When it is all done and photographed by someone who is better with a camera than I, I will give you an update!!

30 comments:

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Holy gorgeousness! I love it. ESPECIALLY the mirror cabinet covers -- they are perfect for the style of the room!! And I think your pics are quite good...I just took ones of my bathroom that are NSFB (not suitable for blog) for sure. ;-)

maison21 said...

great job as usual- i love that you reused that unique tub.

christine {bijouandboheme} said...

So so pretty! I'm using Calacatta marble in my kitchen and I just adore it!! I love what you did with the floor tile- so pretty and the mirrors/sconces are gorgeous. You clients must be so pleased!!

kthappy76 said...

Gorgeous transformation! Love it!

Lila said...

That looks amazing! I love the flooring and the marble counter tops. It is quite luxurious. The before bathroom looks tiny compared to the new do!
xoxo
Lila Ferraro

samia said...

looks lovely.. love to see it nicely photographed and the mirrors are gorgeous!

Amy Vermillion said...

Hi Katie,
Love your blog and love that bathroom. The med cabs are genius.
Thanks for sharing,
Amy

Sarah at Finishing Touch Interiors said...

The marble tops are gorgeous & the photos have come out well. I love the mirrors its a really lovely makeover

Boxwood Terrace said...

It's beautiful! No wonder your clients are so pleased. Like everyone else, I love the medicine cabinets.
Deborah

Party Resources said...

Looks fantastic (of course)!

MrKotter said...

Katie - Love this renovation. The mirrors really pop. I couldn't believe it when I saw the pink tub as just this Saturday when I went to the Bare Bones tour I saw the exact same pink tub! Unfortunately, nobody bid on that bathroom so it won't be redone for the show house. I love that you had it resurfaced - looks beautiful.

My Notting Hill said...

oops - I think I just posted and didn't realize my husband was logged on. So if you get a comment from Mr. Kotter it's me!

Callie Grayson said...

gorgeous!
oh that before, pink bath.... wow.
love the new shower. clean, fresh, modern and completely perfect.
xx
callie

Natalie Thiele said...

Stunning!

Karena said...

Katie I really love the "after"! Those mirros are great!

I have an Artful Offering and great interview on my site.You will love it!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

So Haute said...

Love it Katie! Beautiful work!

mwaxter said...

Wow...just amazing! Love the selections, all so timeless and classic, really fabulous. Hope you enjoy it! Just announced a major giveaway on my blog..please visit.
www.theenchantedhome.blogspot.com

Carla@DesignintheWoods said...

Very nice! I'm sure they love it. What a unique tub...good call to keep it and refinish.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous- is the vanity custom made or did you purchase it?

Sarah said...

What a great transformation! I really love the sinks and fixtures...also the glass shower! :))

katiedid said...

Hi All!
You all have just made my day. I so appreciate the support!

Anon, the vanity was custom made with the talents of the wonderful contractor and his team. I designed the peice and I could not have been happier with the results. I had him copy the finish which is on a pair of antique nightstands in the Master Bedroom (which I hope to show you all as soon as it is finished!)

Thank you all again.

*Chic Provence* said...

HI Katie...pitch-perfect bathroom transformation for the house..I love the warmth of the Circa sconces and the mirrors...the floors are beautifully designed...brava as usual!

xoxo

Kit

Pretty Inspirational said...

Beautifully done! The vanity mirrors with brass fixtures are great along with the tile floor!

Amanda {a j cooper design} said...

Beautiful! I love the detail on the corner of the vanity back splash!

classic • casual • home said...

Great idea with the mirrors and the sconces are very cool.
Mary Ann

Adrienne, Clark and Baby P said...

Gorgeous! What is the paint color?

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Katie,
Beautiful work as well as a very thoughtful renovation!
~Rebecca

An Authentic Life said...

Anyone named Katy is on my list!!
Be sure to visit my blog, www.AnAuthenticLife.com

Cheers,
KT

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Your clients must be thrilled. What a great transformation. Love the clean, crisp white.
Love it!

bevans said...

I really love the bathroom mirror that opens for storage! Great piece, I was browsing online and found some nice bathroom mirrors here