Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Weekend Before and After DIY


 Actually, this story would more appropriately be named "During and After". I thought I had photos of this table "Before" but I cannot seem to find them! I have had this table for over 5 years now.....one of the many pieces I have inherited from my mother's collection of furniture. She bought this table from Gallery of Functional Art in Santa Monica probably 25 years ago and had it in her home near Santa Fe. In its original form, it was multicolored like the top (I have not painted the top in this photo). Each stick was a different paint color and it looked like auto paint....metallics and very bright. 

It was fun table, but it never seemed to go with anything in the house. I did like the form of the table and did not want to sell it. I had wanted to paint it for years. But Mom was not on board. We recently tried to find out more about the artist and see if he was still working. Mom hunted around in her papers and actually found the receipt!  After contacting the gallery, we found that they had not heard anything about him for over 15 years, so it was a "go" for paint!

I was a bit worried about how to go about painting this. There were so many sticks, and getting to them all to sand them, prime them, etc. was near impossible. Thank goodness for my friends at University Art!  I went to ask their advice and they recommended a spray paint called Montana Gold Spray Color: Shock White. No primer needed and it sticks to pretty much any surface: wood, concrete, metal, plastic, etc. It dries really fast and there are 204 colors!!!! Sounded perfect. Off I went with three cans.


 The paint worked really well! It had a nice matt finish, which I wanted, and went on really nicely. The only hitch is that I needed three more cans for the size of the tables.....so many little crevices!. I think it still might need another coat, but I could not wait to try it in place.

I had a galvanized metal top made for the table a few years ago (which is why I did not paint the top!), so we put that back on. It now sits in the dining room bringing the outside in with a very large rustic birdcage on top.


 My mom has seen it and now likes it much better too!


What did you do last weekend? I'd love to see any of your "Before and Afters"!

17 comments:

Audrey said...

This is a really great idea. I love the twigs! I'm not surprised it took that much spray paint though. The cans always seem to have less paint than we think right? I always have to go back and buy more than I thought I originally needed too!

Shannon said...

I can't even imagine how colouful that must have been!!!

It looks great white!!!

My Interior Life said...

Ooh, I love it. It's so unique and such a great story. I've done some DIY before and afters but they're not always the best. My most recent was the Parson's table I covered in grasscloth:
http://myinteriorlife.blogspot.com/2011/07/mission-almost-accomplished.html

maison21 said...

looks great, katie! (but of course, everything you do always does, so no surprise)

oxoxo!

under spanish moss said...

beautiful piece…beautiful lines, great symitry. Enjoy it.
xo
Renee & angela

Karena said...

Katie I love this table and I am sure the artist meant it to be an amazing work of art. I happen to adore it just the way it is now!!

Come and join my new fashion Giveaway from Fresh Produce!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Barbara@HausDesign said...

It looks great! I love the galvanized top too - a bit of industrial thrown in too - very cool.

mary said...

It looks gothic..very cool and sassy. Mary

Grant K. Gibson said...

LOVE the makeover! You are SO GREEN!

penelopebianchi said...

Oh Wow! Regardless of what the artist would think....this is an enormous success in my opinion! You kept the sculpture of the branches......and provided simplicity on the top. I think it is lovely now.

It was not a "period piece".....and now it is a lovely addition....This is a really great "green" way to keep meaningful furniture....and make it adapt well to your surroundings!

Wonderful! And Congratulations!!

penelopebianchi said...

oh p.s. The wood looked like it might have been a porous kind of wood. Try primer next time first.....it seals the porousness......then not so many coats of paint are required!

Just a thought! I learned that one the hard way!

Linda in AZ * said...

*** Absolutely A*D*O*R*I*N*G the way you re-did this... Oh, how I just L*O*V*E IT!!!

A gazilllllllion KUDOS, Katie!!! (And your Mom, for having the foresight to purchase this fab piece originally!!!)...

Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Wow! I love it!

Peggy and Fritz said...

Love it - love the twiggy look and like the top you put ontop. I'm not surprised about the paint - everytime I paint something I figure twice as much as they suggest because I like it to be coated well. Looks amazing. Nice touch.

Debbie said...

LOVE it! And I really love that the top is galvanized metal instead of silver paint. So much more fun.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Fabulous - it looks terrific.

pve design said...

Looks wonderful.
pve