Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Messing Around


After putting away Holiday decorations, it seems that I have an annual clean slate on my front table in the Living Room. Most people fill that New Year's clean slate with noble resolutions, and while I know I really should lose a few pounds, improve my business, work on being a better mom, wife, daughter......I tend not to want to paint myself into a corner I can't get out of. SO....I put a little energy into finding some New Year inspiration and re-arrange this table"scape". I know it can always be changed, updated, added to, subtracted from.....in other words, there are no corners in which to get stuck!
Every January, my neighbors get together for a fabulously fun and delicious Progressive Dinner Party (more on that soon!). This year, we were on the Dessert team, and the dessert course was held at our house......so I did have to put a quick something together for the party. My very quick response was a few books, a mercury glass sphere and some simple pillar candles (IKEA!) and a round mirror. After looking at some older photos of this table, I realized that you have not seen the new (old) lamps that came out of storage when we moved Mom from Petaluma to Sacramento. I have also put up the beautiful photograph by James Bleecker that I had in the Marin Designer Showcase....so there are a few bigger changes.

Here are a few of the past assemblages you may remember........


Shells, Ironstone and Flowering Quince.


Christmas mercury glass, silver punchbowl with a rosemary Christmas tree.


This one does have the new lamps, books, shells, green glass demijohn on the floor and fern.


A Fall collection of wicker covered bottles, antlers, gourds and white pumpkins.

So you see, I an inspired by experimentation and just plain old messing around til things look interesting. I usually use things I already have and add flowers or something seasonal. Do you have areas in your home you re-arrange regularly? I would love to hear how you re-energize your New Year!

AND I noticed that my new camera is taking MUCH better photos! So....I will make one resolution.....I will learn to master my new Sony a37 camera.

12 comments:

Jeannine @ Small and Chic said...

Those pictures made me feel like I need to get back to "playing" in our condo. I've been so focused on the idea of selling in the future that I have been making all decisions that are safe.

Thanks for a little inspiration to be a little more creative!

Karen Albert said...

Michele. Yes I love to change out accessories and pillows; just little touches!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Laurie said...

Great inspiration! Love all the looks you created.

A Perfect Gray said...

liked seeing the changes. I think I like best the modern-mixed-with-vintage feel of the current image. how do you affix the small round mirror over the larger one?

cindy hattersley design said...

Katie

You are the queen of the console! You amaze me the creative combinations you come up with!

My Notting Hill said...

So fun to see all these iterations - each beautiful in its' own way.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

I love seeing all your versions of this table. The lamps are wonderful, nice lines, how lucky to have them.

Liz

MJH Design Arts said...

I love the antique Japanese candlesticks lamps; in fact, I love all of it.
Mary

columnist said...

Your table lamp bases are Thai candlesticks, usually in black lacquer. They're a lovely adaptation.

Julie said...

I'm with you, I thoroughly enjoy going from room to room switching things up. It's so refreshing!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

There is something about the foyer table they compels me to change it no les than seasonally. The rest f my surfaces far less so, but seeing all your renditions has me inspired!
Happy New Year!

columnist said...

Sorry, I was talking twaddle earlier. The lamp bases are Japanese.