Thursday, August 1, 2013

Vessel Sinks: Yea or Nay?

The Radford 51 Vessel Sink from Victoria and Albert
Vessel sinks became very popular back in the 80's. They were a novelty back then, and were seen as something unique and therefore desirable. Opinions have been varied about these sinks over the years......some said they were a trend and would become dated looking, others still like the ease of installation and the unique look that can be achieved. Others have weighed in on the practicality.....the exposed edge can become an issue with durability, dirt and water can get stuck around the base, special height faucets are required, the height of the counter has to be considered depending upon the height of the sink which can vary, etc.

Over the years, I have specified vessel sinks for my clients that have requested them. I have mixed feelings about vessel sinks in general. I think some styles definitely look dated, and I do take issue with some of the practical qualities. However, I do still like most of the white porcelain vessel sinks on the market right now. They have a spa-like aesthetic, which I really like. And I do think vessel sinks work well in bathrooms where they are used mainly to wash one's hands.

All that being said, I was happy to receive information about a couple of new vessel sinks from Victoria and Albert today. My first impression? I really like them! They remind me of the large Ironstone hand basins I have (I use mine to hold fruit or for large salads). They conjure up romantic images of a time before under mount sinks and indoor plumbing. They are charming and fresh and they are now on my list of items titled "things I want to use in future client projects".

The Drayton 40 Vessel Sink from Victoria and Albert
The sinks from Victoria and Albert are made from a product called ENGLISHCAST which is a limestone and resin product that is "naturally white, gloss finish, featuring excellent stain resistance". Check it all out HERE. So, my practical side is saying "OK".

So, what do you think? I would love to hear the consensus on the future of the vessel sink!

19 comments:

Mrs. Limestone said...

Sorry but I definitely vote nah.

Thomas said...

An idea whose time has passed

Renee said...

NO...I just spent 3 days
cleaning 4 vessel sinks in a vacation rental house at Lake Tahoe this past week! One has to clean the inside, outside then the counter, what a PAIN! If I ever thought I wanted one, this experience has definitely changed my mind! I'll take practical over pretty any day (ok to some extent).

Renae Moore said...

I like them especially a powder bathroom. I prefer stone or some natural element though.

Merlin said...

From what I understand (and have used) the water flow has to be "just right" or...a mess. franki

Anonymous said...

Also a big NAY.

cheap rs gold said...

Coming from a few things i realize (and still have used) the water stream needs to be "just right" or...chaos. frankiGold For RS

cindy hattersley design said...

Apparently I am in the minority...I like them and I do not find them hard to clean...am I totally out to lunch? We have them in one bath in our vacation rental...not a problem...I do not like those shallow ones though.

Pigtown*Design said...

i have seen some great ones, usually incorporating a piece of old furniture, and then some ghastly ones, specifically a glass sink that you'd have to clean out completely after every use. done well, it's great.

Kathysue said...

I have one in my master bath and I love the look, I was careful to make sure the water stream did not hit the middle of the sink on the stopper, too many splashes. It goes a bit further back and there is no problem. I think they are going to look dated, in fact I feel mine is and it is 7years old. However I agree with you Katie, I love the white porcelain vessels, I particularly like the long rectangle trough looking sinks.463

An Urban Cottage said...

I just installed a big square basin on an antique Swedish table for two reasons. (Two posts back if you'd like to see.) I tend to love them when a modern porcelain shape is paired with an antique piece of furniture. More importantly, the big basin will allow me to easily wash dishes during my kitchen renovation. I tend not to care for the bowl shaped ones that are made of glass or other decorative materials. Yes, it does splash a bit so the low sides on your bowl might be a problem.

home before dark said...

I installed a square Toto sink in my bathroom on my recycled John Boos maple and stainless kitchen cart (complete with wheels). I used a single lever Grohe faucet and I love it. Everyone cautioned me that the sink would be to tall. It is not. Where is it written that we have to bend over to brush our teeth?

I'm using a stainless vessel on a mirrored chest in my powder room. I like the look, don't care it is looks dated to many, they are easy to clean and you don't bend over!

Anonymous said...

Love the idea! They look very classy.

-VP
http://www.etsy.com/shop/visualphilosophy

Erika Turner said...

i'd say no no no!

Karen of Fair Oaks said...

Hotel bathrooms are always a great place to take a test drive on new design elements. My experience with the vessel sinks has been unsatisfactory and makes me really glad that I never installed one at home. As much as I love the unique, function comes first!

Dion Seminara Architecture said...

I think the sinks look stunning in these picture. My vote is yay.

Sarah said...

I love V&A and sell the brand in our showroom, the tubs are gorgeous. I like the vessel sinks, but I feel they are more ideal in a powder room where they don't get much use. They do create a lot of wetness, so if a lot of water drives you crazy, it will never be dry!! Not great for everyday use...;-)

Anonymous said...

Nay. They look cool but am I the only one who thinks about how to clean the latest/greatest products??

Melissa Sean said...

I think its a yea for me. Its quite interesting and simple. Less is more.

-http://edenbath.com/